Back to top
Key questions to ask when investigating sexualised behaviour between CYP
- Is the behaviour in the context of a particular type of relationship (e.g. a ‘romantic’ relationship where there may be pressure to please)?
- Is there a power imbalance between those involved (e.g. age difference, physical strength and capability, emotional development)?
- Are those involved equipped to describe their wants and desires and to give consent?
- Is the behaviour age appropriate and appropriate to the level of development of the person involved – or could the person have been coerced into a type of behaviour?
- Is the behaviour potentially harmful or risky? (e.g. the distribution of sexual photos or video content).
- Is the behaviour appropriate to the school environment whether or not you consider it to be consensual?
ABA Tools and Research