Info for parents and carers
The theme of Anti-Bullying Week 2016 is 'Power for Good'. As a parent and carer you have a vital role in supporting your child with issues relating to bullying, and working with schools to prevent and respond to bullying.
Download the Anti-Bullying Week campaign pack to find out more about how you can support the week (coming soon).
Top tips for parents
- If your child is being bullied don’t panic. Explain to your child that the bullying is not their fault and together you will sort this out.
- Bullying is never acceptable; and should always be taken seriously. It is never your child’s fault if they’ve been bullied.
- Try and establish the facts. It can be helpful to keep a diary of events. If the bullying is online, save or copy images and text.
- Find out what your child wants to happen. Help to identify steps you can take; and the skills they have to help sort out the situation. Make sure you always keep them informed about any actions you decide to take.
- You may be tempted to tell your child to retaliate but this can have unpredictable results. Your child might get into trouble or get even more hurt. Rather – role play non-violent ways they can respond to children that are bullying them (e.g. ‘I don’t like it when you say that to me / do that to me. Stop.’); show them how to block or unfriend people if the bullying is online and help them identify other friends or adults that can support them.
- Encourage your child to get involved in activities that build their confidence and esteem, and help them to form friendships outside of school (or wherever the bullying is taking place).
ABA and Red Balloon Learner Centres have worked in partnership to produce 'Information for Parents and Carers on Bullying' (pdf document). The guide includes advice on supporting your child with bullying issues, information on bullying and the law, and guidance on how to make a complaint about bullying.
For more advice on supporting your child with issues related to bullying you can also visit the advice section of our website.